SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Godfather : What happened to Lou the driver?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Godfather : What happened to Lou the driver? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
One of the greatest scenes ever. Most of us have seen it many times.

Question:

What happened to Sollozzo's driver, Lou?

2:42 in this clip, Lou is standing outside the car in front of the restaurant. Michael caps Sollozzo and Captain Mccluskey. 7:53 in the clip shows the exterior of the restaurant and Lou is nowhere to be seen.

Wha' happened to Lou? Perhaps he was killed, but on the street? In front of the restaurant? Before Michael fired his shots? Unlikely. Was he snatched up? Again, unlikely. Any commotion on the street would have tipped Michael's hand.

Does Puzo's novel say anything about this?

Posts: 107684 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I got this from Quora

https://www.quora.com/Why-didn...the-Louis-Restaurant

Jon Mixon
Jon Mixon, Read many on a wide range of subjects
Answered Jan 8 2018 · Author has 24.3k answers and 120.8m answer views

The narrative of the book never makes it clear; nor does the film.

In the novel, Sollozo DID have a man inside the restaurant (this is demonstrated when Michael Corleone came out of the restroom and the unknown man slowly lifted his hands above his table when it was clear that Corleone wasn’t visibly carrying a weapon) whose job it seems to have been to protect Sollozo beyond what Captain McCluskey might have been able to.

In the film, while there is such a character shown, he plays no role in the events that occur in the restaurant. He is shown after Michael kills Sollozo and McCluskey; however he doesn’t have any lines and the camera doesn’t linger on him. There have been a scene planned where things resembled the novel; however, I have a copy of the screenplay and it doesn’t include a scene like that.

Either way, even if “Lou” had intervened or tried to, Tessio, the other caporegime (captain) from the Corleone Family, was waiting in a car nearby to retrieve Michael after the meeting. Had Lou been seen entering the restaurant or waiting for the shooter to leave, it’s probable that Tessio would shot him (or perhaps even run him over) to prevent his harming Michael.

It is definitely a loose end as Lou was one of the two men who shot Don Corleone. You wouldn't expect that to be let go.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Unrelated (apologies!), but I happened to see that "Apollonia" will be turning 65 this year. Damn, time flies.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
What happened to Sollozzo's driver, Lou?

He din see nuttin. Nuttin.
Apparently the Godfather junkies say he was questioned briefly and released but didn't play much of a part and may have been paid off by Michaels family.

Posts: 9532 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
A couple of places online mention he was later caught and questioned by the police regarding the murders, but didnt talk. Its speculated he might have been paid off by the Corleones to walk away. I guess that could make sense, maybe he was the one who tipped off the Corleones as to where the meeting was taking place?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As a side note, I had lunch at the original place in 1974 with my employer (a Godfather fan and Italian) while in NYC on business. The Godfather scene was allegedly based on this real life event.

https://mafia.fandom.com/wiki/Umberto%27s_Clam_House

While there, some guys that looked like the real deal showed up with their entourage and followed by what appeared to be some poorly disguised FBI agents tailing them and clearly taking notes.
Quite an entertaining and memorable lunch.
The food was pretty good too.

Posts: 9532 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I always assumed Lou fled the scene real quiet like. He was part of the mob, his boss and a crooked cop were murdered by the most powerful crime family in New York....Yeh, I'd quietly flee the scene and cook me a TV dinner at my apartment in the Bronx.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6142 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I pulled out my copy of "The Godfather Notebook" and in the novel, we see this line:

quote:
He strode the few steps toward the door and opened it. Sollozzo's car was parked at the curb still, but there was no sign of the driver. Micheal turned left and around the corner. Headlights flashed on and a battered sedan pulled up to him, the door swinging open. He jumped in and the car roared away. He saw that it was Tessio at the wheel, his trim features hard as marble.

ETA scan of page from the book.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking a nap in the back seat? I've watched that movie many times and never noticed he was missing.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
He changed his name to Scungilli and moved to San Francisco.

More seriously, maybe a continuity error as he was a bit player.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I've watched that movie many times and never noticed he was missing.
Well, I missed it myself, the first 150 times I saw the scene.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Waiters, butlers, drivers, staff in general have a way of disappearing at the right time.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
What happened to the toll booth attendant before Sonny gets whacked?...he either drops the money or he knew the hit was coming...but was he collateral damage ?

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
ETA scan of page from the book.
Ah, so there you have it. We don't know what happened to Lou because it's not in the novel.

Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Dale:
What happened to the toll booth attendant before Sonny gets whacked?...he either drops the money or he knew the hit was coming...but was he collateral damage ?

We know the family had no qualms about killing bystanders.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I think a safe assumption is that he is also swimming with the fishes....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37991 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift...
In this clip the man in the brown coat that is bagging fruit for Don Corleone is a friend of mine, Mel Russo. Mel grew up in the same neighborhood in Brooklyn as Coppola and Pacino.

He also had a (non-talking) bit part for about a half a second in Raising Arizona.

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post